10 Roofing Issues Best Suited for Professionals
Let’s be honest – there are a handful of different roofing issues that the average homeowner can fix by themselves. Correcting issues on your own are great, but sometimes there are problems that are better suited for professionals like Storm Guard Roofing and Construction. Here are 10 of the most common roofing issues that are best left to the pro’s to handle.
- Roof Ventilation – Integral in making your roof last, attic and roof ventilation happens naturally by placing vents at the base of your roof at the eaves and also near the ridge of your roof. This allows warm air to leave through the top and cool air to enter through the bottom vents.
This type of ventilation is important because it regulates moisture and temperatures in your home. If vents are improperly installed, moisture and heat can build up, causing serious damage to your shingles, insulation, rafters, and sheathing. This damage often results in mold and mildew, not to mention higher energy costs.
- Leakages and Moisture – Because your roof is exposed to the elements, even a perfectly-constructed roof can suffer from rain, wind, hail, and snow. Keep an eye out for signs of leakage, like discolored ceilings and damp walls. If you notice these signs, make sure you reach out to a professional who can correct the problem.
- Shingle Damage – Over time, the shingles on your home may warp or even get ripped off from bad storms or any other number of other natural hazards. Left unchecked, warped shingle damage can affect the safety of your roof; a danger that is very common in our industry.
- Improper Roof Installation – Unfortunately, sometimes roofers take short cuts or are not educated properly on how to install a roof on your home. This obviously poses a significant threat to the health of your roof and the health of your family. Saving time and money is always optimal, which is why it pays off, in the long run, to hire seasoned, professional roofing experts to do the job right the first time around. If you believe your roof has been improperly installed, it’s time to get it corrected ASAP.
- Pooling Water – Water left to pool on your roof for more than 2 days poses a real problem and can result in mold and even rot. Common water pooling issues are caused by clogged gutters, drainage issues, HVAC problems, and poor roof installation. If you notice water collecting on your roof, make sure you address the problem quickly with the help of a professional roofing company in North Carolina.
- Animal Damage – Those cute little squirrels running around your yard may seem harmless, but they can cause serious structural integrity issues if they are entering your home through your roof. If you hear critters in your attic, chances are they’re coming in through gaps or holes (another common issue) in your roof. Eliminating these pests is crucial, but only put a band-aid on the problem if you don’t address the damage they cause to the roof of your home.
- Tree Damage – Overhanging trees pose a significant threat to your roof. A bad storm can cause trees and tree branches to fall on your roof, causing extensive damage. Low-hanging trees can also rub on your roof, resulting in debris that can cause mold and moss growth.
- Penetrations and Punctures – Often caused by foot traffic, hail and wind damage, make sure you keep an eye out for punctures in your home’s roof and have any holes that you find corrected in a timely manner.
- Shrinkage – This problem usually happens when the membrane of your roof (located under your shingles or tiles) shrinks. This has a tendency to cause surface erosion, splitting, blistering, and ridging, which will almost always lead to bigger problems and headaches.
- Regular Maintenance – This one is a no-brainer, but make sure you’re having general maintenance done on your roof to prevent larger, more serious problems from occurring. Long-term roof health is crucial to a safe home!
While we always encourage homeowners to be proactive about small maintenance issues in their homes, some common roofing problems are best left to the professionals to fix. At Storm Guard Roofing and Construction of Wilmington NC our team of roofers is qualified and ready to help correct any of the aforementioned problems with your home, so you can rest easy knowing your roof is sound and secure.
Give us a call today and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.